Premio Balzan 2010 per la biologia e le potenziali applicazioni delle cellule staminali
Shinya Yamanaka, born in Osaka on 4 September 1962, is a Japanese citizen. He is Director of the Center for iPS Cell Research and Application (CiRA) at Kyoto University, a position he has held since 2008. He also holds the following positions: Professor at the Institute for Integrated Cell-Material Sciences (iCeMS), Kyoto University (since 2007), Senior Investigator at the Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease in San Francisco (since 2007), as well as that of Professor of Anatomy at the University of California, San Francisco.
He received his M.D. from Kobe University in 1987 and a Ph.D. in Pharmacology from Osaka City University Graduate School in 1993. That same year he joined the Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, San Francisco.
In 1996 Professor Yamanaka returned to Osaka City University, where he remained until 1999, when he took up a position at the Nara Institute of Science and Technology. In 2004 he moved to the Institute for Frontier Medical Sciences at Kyoto University.
Shinya Yamanaka has authored over 90 scientific publications, more than half in the last four years on the topic of “induced pluripotent stem cells”. Among his most important works we would cite:
– Miura, K., Okada, Y., Aoi, T., Okada, A., Takahashi, K., Okita, K., Nakagawa, M., Koyanagi, M., Tanabe, K., Ohnuki, M., Ogawa, D., Ikeda, E., Okano, H., and Yamanaka, S. Variation in the safety of induced pluripotent stem cell lines. Nature Biotechnology 27: 743-745, 2009
– Okita, K., Nakagawa, M., Hong, H., Ichisaka, T., and Yamanaka, S. Generation of mouse induced pluripotent stem cells without viral vectors. Science 322: 949-953, 2008
– Aoi, T., Yae, K., Nakagawa, M., Ichisaka, T., Okita, K., Takahashi, K., Chiba, T., and Yamanaka, S. Generation of pluripotent stem cells from adult mouse liver and stomach cells. Science 321:699-702, 2008
– Nakagawa, M., Koyanagi, M., Tanabe, K., Takahashi, K., Ichisaka, T., Aoi, T., Okita, K., Mochiduki, Y., Takizawa, N., and Yamanaka, S. Generation of induced pluripotent stem cells without Myc from mouse and human fibroblasts. Nat Biotechnol 26:101-106, 2008
– Takahashi, K., Tanabe, K., Ohnuki, M., Narita, M., Ichisaka, T., Tomoda, K., and Yamanaka, S. Induction of pluripotent stem cells from adult human fibroblasts by defined factors. Cell 131:861-872, 2007
– Okita, K., Ichisaka, T., and Yamanaka, S. Generation of germline-competent induced pluripotent stem cells. Nature 448:313-317, 2007
– Takahashi, K., and Yamanaka, S. Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic and adult fibroblast cultures by defined factors. Cell 126:663-676, 2006.