Prix Balzan 2008 pour la science du changement climatique
Biographical and Bibliographical Data
WALLACE SMITH BROECKER, born in Chicago, Illinois, on 29 November 1931 (*1931 – †2019), is a U.S. citizen.
He is currently Newberry Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Columbia University, a member of the U.S. Academy of Sciences and a foreign member of The Royal Society, London.
Wallace Broecker received his undergraduate degree in Physics at Columbia College in 1953 and went on to receive his Ph.D. in Geology from Columbia University in 1958. He joined the Columbia faculty in 1959 (Assistant Professor 1959-1961; Associate Professor 1961-1964; Professor 1964-1977).
2008 The Benjamin Franklin Award, Franklin Institute
2006 Crafoord Prize in Geosciences, Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
2002 Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement, University of Southern California
2002 Arthur L. Day Prize and Lectureship, U.S. Academy of Sciences
2000 Don J. Easterbrook Distinguished Scientist Award, Geological Society of America
1999 Nevada Medal, U.S. Desert Research Institute
1997 Oak Park-River Forest High School’s Tradition of Excellence Award
1996 National Medal of Science, bestowed by the President of the United States
1996 Blue Planet Prize, Asahi Glass Foundation, Tokyo
1995 Roger Revelle Medal, American Geophysical Union
1990 Wollaston Medal, Geological Society of London
1990 Joseph Priestly Award, Dickinson College
1987 Vetlesen Award, G. Unger Vetlesen Foundation, New York
1987 V.M. Goldschmidt Award, U.S. Geochemical Society
1986 Alexander Agassiz Medal, U.S. National Academy of Sciences
1986 Urey Medal, European Geophysical Union
1985 A.G. Huntsman Award for Excellence in the Marine Sciences, A.G. Huntsman Foundation, Canada
1984 Arthur L. Day Medal, Geological Society of America
1979 Maurice W. Ewing Medal, American Geophysical Union.
Wallace Broecker has authored over 450 journal articles and the following ten books:
– Fixing Climate: What Past Climate Changes Reveal about the Current Threat –and How to Counter It, W.S. Broecker and R. Kunzig, Hill and Wang, Farrar, Straus, and Giroux Books, April 2008
– A Business Executive’s Guide to Global Warming, Eldigio Press, NY, 2005
– The Ocean’s Role in Climate Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, Eldigio Press, NY,2005
– Fossil Fuel CO2 and the Angry Climate Beast, Eldigio Press, NY, 2003
– Greenhouse Puzzles, W.S. Broecker and T.-H. Peng, Eldigio Press, NY, 1992; revised edition, 1998
– The Glacial World According to Wally, W.S. Broecker, Eldigio Press, NY, 1992; second revised edition, 1995; third revised edition, 2002
– How to Build a Habitable Planet, W.S. Broecker, Eldigio Press, NY, 1985 (Japanese, German translations, 1993, Chinese translation, 1998)
– Tracers in the Sea, W.S. Broecker and T.-H. Peng, Eldigio Press, NY, 1982
– Chemical Oceanography, W.S. Broecker, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Inc., NY, 1974
– Chemical Equilibria in the Earth, W.S. Broecker and V. Oversby, McGraw-Hill, NY, 1971.